As Lorie and I get ready for the launch of our book Fighting Disease not Death: Finding a way through lifelong struggle, a number of elements are coming together that seem appropriate to share in this blog:
1. The book summary:
After twelve years, sixteen cancer occurrences and counting, Lorie L. Vincent and her husband Mark chronicle their approach to living and thriving during lifelong suffering.
In Fighting Disease, Not Death they go beyond the relentless progression of the disease to describe the anchoring faith that sustains them and gives them a reason to remain in service to others. They compare their decision to fight disease but not worry about the moment of death to approaches others take when faced with lifelong suffering. Their critique of these other approaches is gentle but offers each reader a stark reminder that they will collect suffering experiences during their lifetime. Lorie and Mark maintain it is how each of us builds on our crucibles that makes us remarkable and gives us opportunity to offer lasting value for those who come after us.
2. An endorsement from one of Lorie’s physicians:
3. Here are a number of links to related resources:
- The ProHealth Care CyberKnife® Center virtual tour:
- Information about the superDimension® bronchoscopy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW6piIH_lyk (Just released to the public)
- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article after Lorie’s seventh cancer occurrence:
- Lorie’s ProHealth Care patient story and radio spot:
- The national advertising campaign ad on CyberKnife®, featuring Lorie’s story:
(the ad is located on p.8)
- More reflections on medical outliers from The Muse, Mark L. Vincent’s blog:
Just as soon as we have price information, pre-publication orders will be made available.
-mark l vincent